BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, September 12, 2009

This says it all


I love poetry, I think it is genetic. My Nonna(Grandma) was a poet and her book of poems is one of my most cherished possessions. I even have a book of poems that I keep and write whenever I'm inspired. I recently found a poem that could be my favorite of all time. It explains exactly how I feel about Riley. I wanted to share this poem with all of you. It truly says it all.

Two Words
by Cheryl Ward

Your birth brought us closer
As death lingered near
Your strength as you struggled
Gave flight to our fear
Down Syndrome they whispered
days after your birth
Two words that portrayed
A false image of your worth
Those words did not tell us
Of the love you would bring
Or the power your smile has
To make our hearts sing
Down Syndrome didn't tell us
What kind of child you would be
Filled with amazing surprises
Shared with your father and me
Hard work, determination,
Teaching and learning, it's true
Down Syndrome means much of this
For each of us, not just you
Wonder child, spirited child
You've grown and you've thrived
Your every achievement
Still fills us with pride
No matter the voice used
Two words can't describe
The fullness you've added
To so many lives
Down Syndrome, those frightening words
Whispered so long ago
Never did they prepare me
For the person I now know.

0 comments: